Tips for breastfeeding:
• Breastfeeding your baby on demand, at least 8-12 times/24 hours for newborns.
• Rest, eat well, drink fluids to satisfy your thirst.
• Avoid bottles and pacifiers during the first 2-3 weeks to help get breastfeeding off to a good start.
• Minimize visitors. Spend your day resting, cuddling, and feeding your baby.
Call your care provider or lactation nurse if:
• Baby is nursing more than 14 times per 24 hours.
• Swallowing not heard and/or breasts do not soften after feeds. Baby’s urine is dark after day 3.
• Baby’s poopy diapers are still black or brown after day 5.
Click here to download directions for feeding and diaper diary.